This is the third of five sketches from this sketchbook that record subjects in the Whitehaven area on the north-west coast of Cumbria. The present subject (and three of the others) is the village of Parton, about two miles north of Whitehaven, taken from the rocky foreshore, looking south towards Whitehaven in the centre distance, and St. Bees Head in the distance to the right. The sketch served as the basis of a watercolour painted about 1809–10, Whitehaven from near Parton (Whitworth Art Gallery, Manchester),1 although in the watercolour the format is made more panoramic than in the sketch.
For Parton see notes to D12249; Turner Bequest CLV 8.
Andrew Wilton, The Life and Work of J.M.W. Turner, Fribourg 1979, pp.359–60 no.526, as ‘Yorkshire coast 1805–10’
Not visible since stuck down, but an inscription (?by one of the Executors of the Turner Bequest) in pencil ?‘Sched 164.7’ may be seen through the recto. The majority of pages in this sketchbook are similarly inscribed (for the significance of this see notes to Tate D12241, D12244; Turner Bequest CLV 2, 4a).