With the sketchbook positioned in accordance with the foliation, Turner has produced two slight sketches of the village of Graach, located upstream from Wehlen. Landshut Castle can be seen in the distance looming over the village of Bernkastel.1 The Burg Landshut is believed to have been erected as early as the fourth century, with a new castle built near these foundations in the thirteenth under the lordship of the Archbishop of Trier, Heinrich II von Vinstingen. It was destroyed in a fire in 1692 and has lain in ruin ever since.
Below, orientated inversely, are drawings of Zeltingen with the Kunibertsburg (see also Tate D28405; Turner Bequest CCXC 28) and Zeltingen and Wehlen.
‘Ruins of Landshut Castle’, Ferienland Bernkastel-Kues, http://en
.bernkastel, accessed 17 July 2013. .de /holiday -region /bernkastel -kues /what -to -see /ruins -of -landshut -castle -burg -landshut -express -landshut -castle -express .html
- townscapes / man-made features(21,691)
- townscape, distant(8,119)
- River Mosel(336)