This sketch comprises instalment ‘1’ of one panoramic view of Hamburg, Germany. The other two instalments are continued on the folio opposite (Tate D30855; Turner Bequest CCCV 18). Turner produced this view from a vantage point looking across the Binnenalster Lake towards the Old Town. The dome of St Gertrude’s Chapel is to the left of St James’ Church (the Jacobikirche); details of the dome and spire are repeated in the sky by each respective building.
St Gertrude’s Chapel was built in 1391 by a charitable fraternity associated with the Jacobikirche and were chiefly devoted to caring for the poor and the sick.1 In 1842 the building burnt down in the great fire and was never reconstructed.
‘Hamburg Gertrudenmusik’, Magnificat Baroque, accessed 7 May 2015, http://blog
.magnificatbaroque .com /2007 /09 /13 /hamburg -gertrudenmusik
- townscapes / man-made features(21,653)
- townscape, distant(8,117)