Not on display
This view of Inverness was made from Bank Street, which runs along the western bank of the River Ness. It looks south towards old Ness Bridge (which was washed away in 1849), with the spire of the Tollbooth to the left. Janet Carolan has noticed that the pillar between the second and third arches from the left is more prominently drawn than the others.1 This, she notes, had a small vault which was once used as a dungeon.2 Above the bridge is the hill upon which Inverness Castle stands now, although the site was empty when Turner saw it in 1831, the old castle having been levelled by the Jacobites in 1746; the current castle was built in 1836.
For further views of Inverness, see folio 2 (D27047).
- townscapes / man-made features(21,710)
- River Ness(13)