This view of the ruins of Jervaulx Abbey was taken from the park to the south-east, and was probably Turner’s first impression on arrival at the site. Two more detailed studies from a similar aspect, made on the same visit, are in the Yorkshire 3 sketchbook (Tate D11397–D11398 and D11399–D11400; Turner Bequest CXLVI 18a–19 and 19a–20).
Jervaulx Abbey is about four miles north-west of Masham on the road to Middleham. Jervaulx was founded in 1156 as a Cistercian monastery and flourished until its dissolution in 1537. The church was fairly comprehensively razed, but substantial remains of the cloisters and other buildings survive. The site is privately owned and managed in a particularly sensitive way. In the summer the site is a profusion of flowers that enjoy the dry limestone environment.
- townscapes / man-made features(21,691)