Rather than Hawick, as Finberg tentatively suggested,1 this sketch is of Langholm and was made from the western bank of the River Esk a little north of Langholm Bridge which is shown at the right of the sketch. As well as the bridge, the tower of the Town Hall in the centre of the page is identifiable, meaning that the church spire at the left must be of the Old Parish Church (it was rebuilt in 1846). Behind the town are White Hill at the left and Breckeny Knoew at the right.
There is another sketch of Langholm on folio 63 (D25885). The present sketch is slightly out of sequence as it follows views of Hermitage Castle near Hawick, which Turner visited after Langholm.
Finberg 1909, II, p.856.
- townscapes / man-made features(21,710)
- River Esk(9)