Not on display
Drawn inverted in relation to the main numbered sequence of subjects in the sketchbook, this sketch records Lausanne Cathedral from the valley of the Flon to the west, with the church of St François to the right. The valley in front of the cathedral was shortly to become the site for the Grand Pont. Building work was begun in 1839 and the official opening was held on 1 October 1844. Turner returned to the site in the 1840s to make a number of sketches with the Grand Pont in place; see for example Tate D33562; Turner Bequest CCCXXXV 22, or a watercolour of Lausanne from the West (private collection).1
Sotheby’s sale, London, 4 July 2007 lot 3.
- townscapes / man-made features(21,691)
- townscape, distant(8,119)