Joseph Mallord William Turner

Leith and Granton Harbours

1822

In Tate Britain

Prints and Drawings Room

View by appointment
Artist
Joseph Mallord William Turner 1775–1851
Medium
Graphite on paper
Dimensions
Support: 114 x 187 mm
Collection
Tate
Acquisition
Accepted by the nation as part of the Turner Bequest 1856
Reference
D17598
Turner Bequest CC 53 a

Catalogue entry

Despite Finberg’s identification of this double-page sketch (continuing on folio 54; D17599) as Port Edgar (with which Gerald Finley and David Wallace-Hadrill have agreed),1 this is identifiable by a number of landmarks as Leith and Granton Harbours. At the left of the page Leith is recognisable from the Martello tower, the now removed old West Pier, the cylindrical Signal House and just to its left the Leith Glass Works. The harbour continues to the right where on folio 54 it merges with Granton harbour. At the very left of the page is the distant outline of North Berwick Law.
There are further sketches of Leith Harbour on the inside front cover of this sketchbook and on folios 52, 58 verso, 62–63, 66 verso, 67 verso, 68 verso, 69 verso, 71 verso, 75 verso and 76 verso (D40687, D17595, D17608, D17615–D17617, D17622, D17624, D17626, D17628, D17632, D17639, D17641).

Thomas Ardill
September 2008

1
Finley 1981, p.84; David Wallace-Hadrill, unpublished notes, [circa 1990–92], Tate catalogue files.

Read full Catalogue entry

You might like