Not on display
This slight drawing appears to be of the Cobb, Lyme Regis’s harbour, with the hills east of the town in the distance as seen in the clearer sketch on the recto (D08429). The boats may also be the same, although the view appears to extend to the south. There are low buildings on the south-eastern arm of the Cobb today, though whether they relate to those shown here is uncertain, as the harbour breakwaters were extensively rebuilt in the 1820s.1 This followed major breaches a few years after Turner’s visit, in 1817 and 1824, although earlier plans show the position of the main, encircling arm of the harbour much as it is today, with buildings towards its end.2
For other views of the town, see under D08429.