The staircase up to the arch flanked by massive, ruined walls on the east side of Millom Castle, Cumbria, survives today in much the same state. The arch leads to a small courtyard, beyond which is the pele tower, now a farmhouse. The church, south of the castle, is seen through trees to the left.
There are several other studies of Millom in this sketchbook (D08975, D08976, D08998, D09001; CXXVII 9, 9a, 23a, 25a), complementing the distant views in the 1809 Petworth sketchbook (Tate D07534, D07535; Turner Bequest CIX 22, 23), which also includes drawings of the Cumbrian castles at Cockermouth and Egremont; the studies here were presumably made on the same tour. For the situation and history of the castle and adjacent church, see under D08975.
This page is a face of one of the loose bifolio sheets which form the majority of the so-called Sandycombe and Yorkshire sketchbook, along with a few single leaves. The sheets were not bound, but folded inside each other in a sequence which is not entirely recoverable (see the sketchbook’s Introduction for a suggested order). When unfolded, this page is continuous with the verso of D08992 (CXXVII 20); the measurements given above are for the present work alone.