This is one of two views of Millom Castle from this sketchbook, the other being Tate D07535; Turner Bequest CIX 23. They are newly identified here together with further (closer) views, first recognised by Matthew Imms, in the Sandycombe and Yorkshire sketchbook also used during Turner’s northern tour in 1809 (Tate D08975, D08976, D08978, D08998, D0900; Turner Bequest CXXVII 9, 9a, 11, 23a, 25a). Turner’s route homewards towards the end of his Cumbrian tour, noted in his Cockermouth sketchbook (Tate D07538; Turner Bequest CX 1), includes ‘E[gremont], Ulv[erston]’. He must have taken the coast road south past Ravenglass, Bootle, Whitbeck and Kirksanton to Millom and then crossed the Duddon Sands at low tide on his way to Ulverston. Turner may have been encouraged to see the castle, and the adjacent twelfth-century Holy Trinity Church, by the Earl of Lonsdale whose family had acquired the castle from the Huddleston family to use as a base for prospecting for iron ore. The castle is now a farm, in private ownership.
This view looks north, with the Lake District fells in the distance ahead. Duddon Sands are glimpsed on the right. There are reapers or gleaners in the field in the foreground.
Blank. Laid down.
- work and occupations(14,388)