The town of Müden lies within the Moselle valley in an area bordering the Eifel mountain range to the north, and the Hunsrück to the south. Here Turner has taken a quick sketch of the town from the river, the view incorporating St Stephen’s Church with its striking Romanesque ‘diamond tower’ built around 1200.1 To the right of the church are two timber-framed houses with steeply sloping gables. Turner has annotated the view with the inscription ‘Mudon’.
The vicinity around Müden is shown on the following folio 12 verso (Tate D28560; Turner Bequest CCXCI 12a).
‘St Stephanus Müden’, Pfarreiengemeinschaft Treis-Karden, http://www
.mueden, accessed 21 August 2013. .pg -treis -karden .de /pfarrbuechereimueden .html
- River Mosel(336)