After Civita Castellana, Turner’s route to Rome left the Via Flaminia and led him south-west to Nepi, a town approximately twenty-three miles north of the Eternal City. This sketch shows a view of the skyline of Nepi from the Castel Sant’Elia road to the north. On the left are the towers of the fifteenth-century castle, the Rocca dei Borgia, and on the right is the eighteenth-century aqueduct with its double row of arches. The panorama continues on the opposite sheet of the double-page spread, see folio 82 verso (D14814), with the campanile of the Palazzo Comunale; the dome and cupola of the Church of San Pietro; and the spire of the cathedral (rebuilt in 1831).
- townscapes / man-made features(21,691)
- townscape, distant(8,119)