Joseph Mallord William Turner

Park Place, Henley, with Marsh Mill to the Right


In Tate Britain

Prints and Drawings Room

View by appointment
Joseph Mallord William Turner 1775–1851
Graphite on paper
Support: 260 x 366 mm
Accepted by the nation as part of the Turner Bequest 1856
Turner Bequest XCV 26

Catalogue entry

This was a right-hand page from the sketchbook. Finberg’s suggestion of Cliveden did not take account of the fact that the mansion was then in ruins, as can be seen in the drawing of the house that Turner did make in this sketchbook (Tate D05936; Turner Bequest XCV 32). The subject is correctly identified by Hill. For Henley subjects from this sketchbook see Tate D05911; Turner Bequest XCV 7. This view is taken from about a mile up the River Thames from the town itself, looking over Marsh Lock and Mill towards Park Place set on elevated ground on the opposite bank. The grounds had been famously beautified with artificial ruins, temples and other features, often built from the remnants of other buildings like Reading Abbey, by their owner General Conway and his architect James ‘Athenian’ Stuart. However, Turner seems only to have sketched this distant view from the river.
Blank. Laid down.

David Blayney Brown
February 2009

Read full Catalogue entry


You might like