The prospect, now obscured by housing in the foreground, is westwards from on or near the Ridgeway to St Maurice’s Church and Plympton Castle, with Saltram Park (see also under folio 39 recto; D09715) rising on the hillside beyond.
The first of two Plympton sketches in the 1811 Devonshire Coast, No.1 sketchbook (Tate D08561, D08565; Turner Bequest CXXIII 101a, 103a) shows a similar view. The roof in the foreground is that of Plympton House (now St Peter’s Care Home) off George Lane, built around 1700 in the ‘William-and-Mary tradition’,1 with six bays on its east front, as Turner notes, and the pediments of its north and south fronts seen in profile.
There is another Plympton view on folio 42 recto (D09718).
See Nikolaus Pevsner, South Devon, The Buildings of England, Harmondsworth 1952, p.245.
- townscapes / man-made features(21,653)
- building - non-specific(3,170)
- River Tamar(74)