Not on display
Although a grand building with some unusual features, including a double staircase up to the crossing tower, the medieval parish church of Pontefract lay in ruins from the time of the Civil War until 1838 when it was rebuilt. When Turner visited the town another church, St Giles’s, had been the parish church since 1789; but he concentrated on the more evocative remains of All Saints’, three drawings of it; see also folios 7 recto and 9 recto (D00912, D00914).
The drawing is continued on folio 7 verso opposite (D40561).
Blank; stamped in brown ink with Turner Bequest monogram.
- periods and styles(5,198)
- townscapes / man-made features(21,710)