This impressive bridge, unidentified by Finberg but recognised by Katrina Thomson as Regent Bridge,1 was built between 1816 and 1819 to cross the ravine between Edinburgh and Calton Hill, connecting the east end of Princes Street, and providing access to the hill, Calton Cemetery and Calton Gaol. The bridge is here seen from the south side. The impressive central arch is fifty feet wide, and above it the bridge is decorated by a colonnade with an open arch in the centre, held up by Corinthian columns. Below the structure are crowded winding streets, bustling with people, and behind are the rooftops of Edinburgh’s New Town. Turner would have crossed Regent Bridge to reach Calton Hill from where he made several sketches of Edinburgh and Arthur’s Seat.
Thomson 1999, pp.26, 46 note 55.
- periods and styles(5,198)
- townscapes / man-made features(21,710)