This Georgian house has not so far been recognised but can probably be identified as John Fuller’s Rosehill (now Brightling) Park. The entrance front and its pillared door are recognisable from the watercolour Turner made for Fuller about 1816 (British Museum, London)1 using a drawing in his later Hastings sketchbook (Tate D10393–D10390; Turner Bequest CXXXIX 34–32a). However, in these later depictions of the house the pediments over the door and the end bay have been removed to give a more severe facade, in keeping with the alterations to the right bay and garden side of the house made by Robert Smirke, 1810–12. Folio 65 of this sketchbook (D07695) has a quick sketch of this side of the house, including the service block at the back. Both these sketches seem to show the house before most of Smirke’s work, as shown in the circa 1816 watercolour, was done. The house has since been much reduced in size.
Andrew Wilton, The Life and Work of J.M.W. Turner, Fribourg 1979, p.349 no..438.