Not on display
This is the basis for a finished watercolour executed for Sir Richard Colt Hoare (1758–1838) (Cooper Art Gallery, Barnsley).1 The old Market House was replaced in 1859 by a building which has itself been largely rebuilt.
The drawing was made with the page turned horizontally. Gothic details are noted separately above the roofline at the centre and to the right.
Andrew Wilton, J.M.W. Turner: His Life and Work, Fribourg 1979, p.323 no.212.
Blank; stamped in brown ink with Turner Bequest monogram.
- periods and styles(5,198)
- public and municipal(2,395)