This is the left half of a double-page spread, continued to the right on folio 41 recto (D11559; Turner Bequest CXLVIII 22, now bound opposite), depicting Sawley Abbey in a view looking up the River Ribble from the south near Beck House. Turner sketched other views of Sawley in the Yorkshire 2 sketchbook (Tate D11336, D11337; Turner Bequest CXLV 169a, 170a).
Sawley Abbey lies between Clitheroe and Skipton. It was founded in 1147 for a community of Cistercian monks, and dissolved in 1536 by Henry VIII. Only a few parts of the church and cloister remain visible.