Joseph Mallord William Turner

Schloss Johannisburg at Aschaffenburg; Nuremberg: The North Side of St Lorenz, the Nassauer Haus and the Tugendbrunnen from the Lorenzer Platz

1835

In Tate Britain

Prints and Drawings Room

View by appointment
Artist
Joseph Mallord William Turner 1775–1851
Medium
Graphite on paper
Dimensions
Support: 118 × 190 mm
Collection
Tate
Acquisition
Accepted by the nation as part of the Turner Bequest 1856
Reference
D30733
Turner Bequest CCCIV 54 a

Catalogue entry

The view orientated horizontally depicts Nuremberg from the north side of Lorenzer Platz, one of the city’s main squares. Turner looks toward St Lorenz Church, with its lofty steeple, and the Naussauer Haus at the end of the square. This medieval tower is one of the last surviving residential towers in Nuremberg. It belonged to the noble family of Schlüsselfelder for some centuries before becoming a municipal building. Constructed of red sandstone, the edifice is adorned with octagonal corner turrets, a crenelated parapet and an intricate oriel window. Directly in front of the Naussauer Haus is the Tugendbrunnen, or Fountain of Virtues.
The other roughly drawn sketch depicts Schloss Johannisberg in the town of Aschaffenburg (see Tate D30714; Turner Bequest CCCIV 44a).
For more views of Nuremberg see Tate D30707–D30711, D30713, D30715–D30718, D30720–D30726, D30729–D30730; Turner Bequest CCCIV 40a–42a, 44, 45–46a, 47a–50a, 52–52a.

Alice Rylance-Watson
December 2015

Read full Catalogue entry

You might like

In the shop