Joseph Mallord William Turner

The Spittlertor and Town Walls, Nuremberg; St Lorenz’s Church from Karolinenstrasse

1840

In Tate Britain

Prints and Drawings Room

View by appointment
Artist
Joseph Mallord William Turner 1775–1851
Medium
Graphite on paper
Dimensions
Support: 198 × 126 mm
Collection
Tate
Acquisition
Accepted by the nation as part of the Turner Bequest 1856
Reference
D31336
Turner Bequest CCCX 31

Catalogue entry

With the page turned horizontally, the cylindrical Spittlertor and its compound along Nuremberg’s walls are seen from the west, looking over a defensive ditch to where a bridge crosses to a gateway. The ditch has largely been filled in, and the bridge has gone; instead there is one in the foreground, along Ludwigstor, with walkways and grass in the dip on either side. The viewpoint is now the intersection of the city’s ring-road and various other multi-lane routes, and the view is partly obscured by trees. Another aspect of the tower complex is shown on the verso (D31337).
Above the main drawing here is a smaller sketch in another part of the city, looking east along Karolinenstrasse (now lined with modern buildings) to the west front towers of the medieval church of St Lorenz.
These Nuremberg subjects were identified by Cecilia Powell.1 For a few other views of the city in this sketch book and the more extensive sequence from 1835, see under folio 29 recto (D31332).2

Matthew Imms
September 2018

1
See Powell 1995, p.243.
2
See also ibid., pp.70, 82 note 55.

Read full Catalogue entry

You might like