With the page turned horizontally, the cylindrical Spittlertor on Nuremberg’s walls is seen from the south, looking over a defensive ditch to where a bridge crosses to an arch at the near corner of the tower’s compound. The ditch has since been filled in at this point, enabling access at ground level; the gateway’s pointed turrets and castellations have been replaced with a pitched roof.
The viewpoint is now along the multi-lane city ring-road, and the view is partly obscured by trees. Another aspect of the tower complex is shown on the recto (D31336). This Nuremberg subject was identified by Cecilia Powell.1 For a few other views of the city in this sketch book and the more extensive sequence from 1835, see under folio 29 recto (D31332).2