As Ian Warrell has noted, this view of Shrewsbury is from across the River Severn opposite the open parkland known as the Quarry, with Lord Hill’s Column of 1814–16 beyond.1 The Georgian cupola of St Chad’s Church, west of the town centre, is on the left, with the tower of St Julian’s Church (now St Julian’s Centre), the spires of St Alkmund’s Church and St Mary the Virgin’s Church towards the centre, and the tower of Shrewsbury Abbey on the right. The Waterloo veteran General Lord Hill’s monument, surmounted his statue and on a similar scale to Nelson’s Column,2 stands about half a mile south-east of the abbey along Abbey Foregate, and is relegated to a slight continuation to the right on folio 14 recto opposite (D22175).
A separate sketch, with what appears to be a continuation to the left, appears at the top left. The viewpoint off Porthill Road is now difficult to establish owing to the avenues of mature trees along the bank around the Quarry and other later developments. For other views of Shrewsbury see under folio 12 verso (D22172); and for views of Old St Chad’s Church in the middle of the town, see folio 89 verso (D22316; Turner Bequest CCXXXIX 88a).
Ian Warrell, notes from 1993 and later in Tate catalogue files.
See ‘Lord Hill’s Column’, Shropshire Council, accessed 7 April 2014, http://shropshire
.gov. .uk /shropshire -council /lord -hills -column /
- townscapes / man-made features(22,284)
- townscape, distant(8,380)