Joseph Mallord William Turner

Sketches on the road between Foligno and Trevi; including the Torre di Matigge and the Castle of Sant’Eraclio

1819

In Tate Britain

Prints and Drawings Room

View by appointment
Artist
Joseph Mallord William Turner 1775–1851
Medium
Graphite on paper
Dimensions
Support: 110 × 186 mm
Collection
Tate
Acquisition
Accepted by the nation as part of the Turner Bequest 1856
Reference
D14719
Turner Bequest CLXXVII 34 a

Catalogue entry

At Foligno, the route to Rome joined the Via Flaminia and continued south towards Spoleto. The three sketches on this page chart stages of Turner’s progress between Foligno and the Temple of the Clitumnus near Pissignano. The principal view at the bottom depicts the road leaving Foligno, at a point near the present-day Porta Romana. The town visible on the crest of the hill in the distance on the right is Trevi, with the campanile of the Cathedral of Sant’Emiliano.
The subject of the second sketch in the top right-hand corner is the castle at Sant’Eraclio, a fortification built to guard the Via Flaminia, approximately a mile and a half outside of Foligno. Turner’s idiosyncratic spelling of the place name, ‘St Orraclio’ suggests it was a phonetic attempt to make sense of an unfamiliar Italian word told to him by a native speaker. Finally, the third sketch in the top left-hand corner shows the medieval watchtower at Matigge, a small village approximately four miles south of Foligno. Once again, Trevi is visible in the background beyond.

Nicola Moorby
November 2008

Read full Catalogue entry

You might like

In the shop