Not on display
This street scene shows the church of St Andrew’s and St George’s in George Street, Edinburgh. In 1818 the church was dedicated to St Andrew alone, with St George’s Church – which Turner also drew in this sketchbook (folio 60 verso; D13566) – located in the nearby Charlotte Square; the two congregations joined in 1964 when St George’s became the West Register House. Although the sketch is now faint, the main features of the church’s façade can be made out including the tall portico topped by a triangular pediment, the three-level steeple and the sharp spire. Turner also made a study of the spire in the Bass Rock and Edinburgh sketchbook (folio 63; Tate D13433; Turner Bequest CLXV 63) where these features can be more clearly made out. Similarly, George Street is faint and roughly drawn, but Turner still captures the character of the lofty Georgian architecture.
At the top of the page is a list of addresses among which is ‘York Place’ a road near George Street. The other addresses are likely to be close by although they have not been identified, and were perhaps places that Turner had been recommended to visit.
Damage to this page at the right has been repaired.