The view is north across the River Thames from Hurst Park, East Molesey, to the original St Mary’s Church at Hampton, about a mile up the Thames from Hampton Court Palace. The church’s low, square tower is shown in an anonymous watercolour (private collection) recording the building’s appearance before its demolition in 1830. The present church, with its tall, pinnacled tower, dates from immediately afterwards; its setting has undergone various changes, and the surrounding buildings also appear to be later.1 The view is continued to the right below, with the dome of the riverside Temple to Shakespeare in the grounds of Garrick’s Villa, shown beyond to its right.
There are further studies of the church, temple and villa on folio 20 verso (D20762; Turner Bequest CCXXVII 20), and a more detailed study omitting the church on folio 21 verso (D20764; Turner Bequest CCXXVII 21), under which Garrick’s buildings are discussed; for other views in the Hampton Court area see under folio 2 verso (D20736).
See ‘St Mary the Virgin’s Churchyard, Hampton-upon-Thames’, London Gardens Online, accessed 22 October 2015, http://www
.londongardensonline. .org .uk /gardens -online -record .asp ?ID =RIC076