The village of Sturry stands on the River Great Stour, along the main road towards Margate about three miles north-east of Canterbury (see under folio 3 recto; D35761). With the page inverted relative to the sketchbook’s foliation, the main drawing continues across folio 10 recto opposite (D35775). Seen to the south-west on the present page is Milner Court, formerly Sturry Court, begun in 1583 on a monastic site and much rebuilt,1 now part of King’s Junior School and obscured from this direction by later buildings; other aspects of the scene are described under D35775.
See ‘Sturry Milner Lane: Sturry Court’, British Listed Buildings, accessed 28 August 2015, http://www
.britishlistedbuildings. .co .uk /en -171460 -milner -court -sturry -kent
Some scattered brown staining is offset from folio 10 recto opposite (D35775).