For Turner’s visit to Tabley in 1808, see Introduction to the sketchbook, and for St Peter’s Chapel, folios 2 and 3 (D06985, D06986). This drawing is more careful and detailed than the two preceding thumbnail sketches and provides additional information about its setting on an island in the Moat, including the stone pillar or water pump on a strip of land in the foreground. There are various figures, perhaps a party of visitors from the main house. The Chapel is now rebuilt on a different site near the Georgian Tabley House but its chancel window and Dutch gables are clearly recognisable in Turner’s drawing. Its original island setting is overgrown and inaccessible, however.