This page comprises panoramas of distant coastal terrain located at quite different points in the English Channel. The upper view depicts St Sampson Harbour on the east coast of Guernsey, and continues over onto folio 29 recto opposite (D23574; Turner Bequest CCLII 29). The medieval fortress of Vale Castle can be seen rising over the bay towards the left-hand side of the scene. The sketches of St Sampson Harbour in the volume are listed under the entry for folio 51 verso (D23616; Turner Bequest CCLII 51a).
The harbour town on the bottom of the page is Southampton, identifiable by the distinctive pair of medieval spires belonging to St Michael’s and St Mary’s Churches. As outlined in the entry for folio 11 recto (D23541; Turner Bequest CCLII 11), the port recurs at several times throughout the volume. Southampton offered a regular and convenient service to Guernsey by steam packet. 1
J.T. Cochrane, A Guide to the Island of Guernsey, St Peter Port 1826, p.47.