This sketch of Stirling Castle, drawn with the sketchbook inverted and continued on folio 45 (D26343), is the first in a long series of Stirling views in this book: folios 44 verso–52, 53 verso–56 verso (D26342–D26357, D26360–D26366). Turner visited the city during a ten-day tour around Scotland to record views for potential illustrations to works by and about Walter Scott; see Tour of Scotland for Scott’s Poetical Works 1834 Tour Introduction.
As Henry Crawford has pointed out, this view is from King’s Park to the south-west of the castle;1 to the right is the tower of the Church of the Holy Rude, Stirling’s Parish Church. Turner included at the top of the page a separate outline sketch of the castle buildings which he probably intended to help clarify the shape of the castle below. The view extends to the left on folio 45 with an outline of the city and distant hills, including perhaps Ben Ledi, making this a very panoramic view.
Further views of the castle from around King’s Park are on folios 49 verso–51 verso (D26352–D26356).
Crawford 1936, p.26.