Here Turner depicts a view at Verdun in north-eastern France. Shown in this sketch is the grand residence of the Bishops of Verdun, the Palais Episcopal, with the Cathedral of Our Lady adjacent to it. The residence was constructed in 1763 to the designs of Robert de Cotte, chief architect to King Louis XV.1 In 1792 it sustained significant damage during a siege of the city by Revolutionary armies, and suffered further destruction in the 1916 Battle of Verdun.2 Built on a slight ridge, the palace overlooks the streets of city below and the Meuse meanders through it via a series of canals. For further sketches of Verdun, see Tate D19691, D19695–D19698; Turner Bequest CCXVI 71a, 73a–75.
‘Le palais épiscopal’, Tourisme Verdun, accessed 21 April 2014, http://www
.tourisme -verdun .fr /palais -episcopal .php
- townscapes / man-made features(21,601)
- River Meuse(226)