Joseph Mallord William Turner

Bishop’s House and Elgin Cathedral

1831

Not on display

Artist
Joseph Mallord William Turner 1775–1851
Medium
Graphite on paper
Dimensions
Support: 104 × 163 mm
Collection
Tate
Acquisition
Accepted by the nation as part of the Turner Bequest 1856
Reference
D27204
Turner Bequest CCLXXVII 132 a

Catalogue entry

The partially ruined building in the foreground of this sketch has been identified by David Wallace-Hadrill as the Precentor’s of Elgin Cathedral, although it is often known as the Bishop’s House.1 The house is seen from the north, with the outline of the two towers at the western end of Elgin Cathedral rising above it. The cathedral’s octagonal chapter house can be seen at the left, with part of the east end where there are the remains of a rose window. At the right of the page the sketch is overlaid with other sketches of architectural details.
There is another sketch of the Manse on folio 133 (D270205), and it is seen in a sketch of the cathedral on folio 24 verso (D27080). For references to all of Turner’s sketches of Elgin, see folio 139 (D27215).

Thomas Ardill
May 2010

1
David Wallace-Hadrill and Janet Carolan, ‘Sketchbook CCLXXVII Inverness’, [circa 1991], Tate catalogue files, [unpaginated].

Read full Catalogue entry

You might like

In the shop