Finberg later annotated his 1909 Inventory entries for folios 29 recto and verso and 30 recto (D31846–D31848: ‘Campanile, &c.’): ‘scaffolding shown | all from a gondola on Basino [sic]’.1 The Turner scholar C.F. Bell similarly marked another copy, albeit describing the viewpoints as ‘from a gondola on the Canale di S. Marco’,2 which appears incorrect.
With the page turned horizontally, the view is north across the Bacino from the entrance to the Canale della Giudecca in the vicinity of the Zitelle church, with the Molo facades of the Zecca (Mint) and Libreria Sansoviniana aligned just to the right of the campanile of San Marco (St Mark’s). Beyond the Piazzetta to their right in turn are the domes of the Basilica, with the Palazzo Ducale (Doge’s Palace) shown on a slight diagonal in front of them. The scaffolding on the spire is a frequent and important indication of the 1840 dating of such views (see the tour Introduction).3 There is a slighter view from about the same point on folio 30 recto opposite (D31848).
At the top right is a related thumbnail sketch, separated by pencil lines, including two lateen sails and distant waterfront buildings.