Finberg later annotated his 1909 Inventory entry (‘Campanile, &c., with the Salute in distance’): ‘with scaffolding’.1 He noted: ‘2 sketches. One of Dog. & Salute; one of Campe, Zecca & D’s Pal.’2 The Turner scholar C.F. Bell marked another copy: ‘scaffolding on cuspide’.3 Frequently shown in Turner’s sketches, it provides evidence for the dating of such views to 1840 (see the tour Introduction).
With the page turned horizontally, the main view is north from the Bacino, with the Zecca (Mint) and Libreria Sansoviniana on the left with the campanile of San Marco (St Mark’s) beyond the Piazzetta, where only the right-hand column is indicated clearly. Towards the right are slight indications of the pinnacles and westernmost dome of the Basilica behind the Palazzo Ducale (Doge’s Palace).
At the top left the prospect is continued to the left with the view west to the porch of the Dogana and the domes of Santa Maria della Salute at the entrance to the Grand Canal beyond a moored ship, silhouetted by the sinking sun indicated to the right. The sketches on folio 15 recto opposite (D31819) are from about the same point, looking to the south.