Not on display
The view in this rough sketch is to the west, looking through the arches to Cathedral Green. The gateway runs between Wells Cathedral’s chapter house on the left and the Vicars’ Close, to the right on the near side of the gateway. The drawing continues on folio 188 recto opposite (D08709; CXXIII 185), showing the upper part of the structure. Turner first drew the gate from the Cathedral Green side in the Smaller South Wales sketchbook when passing through the city in 1795 (Tate D00464; Turner Bequest XXV 3).
There is a slight sketch of the cathedral on folio 190 recto (D08711; CXXIII 187).
- periods and styles(5,203)
- townscapes / man-made features(21,653)