Joseph Mallord William Turner

The Church of San Pietro in Castello, Venice, from the Canale di San Pietro, with a Tower on the Arsenale Perimeter

1840

In Tate Britain

Prints and Drawings Room

View by appointment
Artist
Joseph Mallord William Turner 1775–1851
Medium
Graphite on paper
Dimensions
Support: 123 × 173 mm
Collection
Tate
Acquisition
Accepted by the nation as part of the Turner Bequest 1856
Reference
D31840
Turner Bequest CCCXIII 26

Catalogue entry

The Turner scholar C.F. Bell annotated Finberg’s 1909 Inventory entry (‘Church, &c.’): ‘San Pietro di Castello?’1 This loose drawing, made with the page turned horizontally, appears to show the domed church and its campanile looking east from the Canale di San Pietro; the upper stages of the tower are omitted. This would make the structure to the left one of the outer towers of the Arsenale shipyard complex beyond, to the north-west beyond the mouth of the Canale di Porta Nova, although its scale is exaggerated.
The church is seen in the distance on folio 45 recto (D31878), within a short sequence of hurried sketches around the perimeter of the Arsenale, and likely on folios 46 verso and 47 recto (D31881–D31882). It may also be seen in a slight drawing on folio 27 verso (D31843).

Matthew Imms
September 2018

1
Undated MS note by Bell (died 1966) in copy of Finberg 1909, Prints and Drawings Room, Tate Britain, II, p.1010.

Read full Catalogue entry

You might like

In the shop