Not on display
This watercolour sketch, worked over a relatively detailed pencil drawing, takes in the main section of Dieppe harbour from a slight elevation near the district of Pollet. The harbour waters, shown at the point at which the dark brown quai du Carénage divides them in two, are indicated by a section of ‘reserved’ blank paper. The Church of St-Jacques rises above a tall row of terraced, harbour-side buildings while ships’ masts, crowds of people, and carriages picked out with ‘dropped-in’ patches of brown evoke the hubbub of a busy port and tourist town. Two elegant figures to the right of the page join the viewer as spectators of the scene; in this respect, like folio 12 recto (D35471; Turner Bequest CCCLX 13) the page draws the viewer into the comings and goings of leisurely holiday-making.1
For reasons set out in the Technical notes in the sketchbook Introduction, this work appears inverted in relation to the volume as foliated.
For the fashionable nature of Dieppe at this date, see Simonia Pakenham, Sixty Miles from England: The English at Dieppe, 1814–1914, London 1967; also, L. Vitet, Histoire de Dieppe, Paris 1844, p.333.
Blank; except for a light patch of grey watercolour transferred from folio 12 recto opposite (D35471; Turner Bequest CCCLX 13).