At the outer edge, the prospect is to the south-west along the Grand Canal, with the dome and portico of San Simeone Piccolo on the left and the front of the Scalzi church slightly nearer on right, in front of the twin cupolas of the lost church of Santa Lucia, which was demolished a few years after Turner’s visit to make way for the railway station.3 The Ponte degli Scalzi now spans the canal in the foreground.
Below, the other way up, is a similar view from a little further south-west, off the schematically rendered Baroque front of the Scalzi. San Simeone is shown from about this point in an atmospheric contemporary watercolour (Tate D32124; Turner Bequest CCCXV 8).
There is a view the other direction on folio 33 verso opposite (D31855).
Undated MS note by Finberg (died 1939) in interleaved copy of Finberg 1909, Prints and Drawings Room, Tate Britain, II, p.1010.
Undated MS note by Bell (died 1966) in copy of Finberg 1909, Prints and Drawings Room, Tate Britain, II, p.1010.
See Jeff Cotton, ‘Santa Lucia’, The Churches of Venice, accessed 21 June 2018, http://www
.churchesofvenice. .co .uk /demolished .htm #santalucia