Turner took this intricate drawing of Liège from a riverboat on the Meuse, looking towards the Pont des Arches. The parade of quayside buildings is continued onto the folio opposite (Tate D20098; Turner Bequest CCXVII 9a), with a further detail of this architecture recorded at top right. Beyond the bridge, the Collegiate Church of St Bartholomew can be seen, identified by its twin towers and Rhenish Helm spires.1 Liège Citadel crowns the heights at left, overlooking the Meuse valley. A fortress has occupied this site since 1255, and was rebuilt by the French in the eighteenth century and during the Napoleonic Wars.2 The citadel is shown again on folio10 verso (Tate D20100; Turner Bequest CCXVII 10a).
There are colour notes at top left.
For more information on St Bartholomew’s Church, see ‘Présentation de la collégiale Saint-Barthélemy’, St Barthélemy, accessed 17 January 2014, English version http://www
.st -barthelemy .be /drapeaux /Anglais%20collegiale .pdf
The paper has mottled and browned significantly, a result of the drawing’s prolonged exhibition and exposure to sunlight during the nineteenth century.
- townscapes / man-made features(21,653)
- River Meuse(226)