Not on display
The Turner scholar C.F. Bell elaborated on Finberg’s 1909 Inventory entry (‘Roman Colonnade, San Lorenzo’): ‘Corso di Porta Ticinese, Milan’.1 The Roman colonnade known as the Colonne di San Lorenzo stands on the east side of the street, with the Basilica of San Lorenzo just beyond; Turner faced south-east to take in both structures.
The low buildings in the foreground, the higher ones beyond and what appears to be a shrine have since been demolished,2 leaving an approximately square section of plain brick wall articulated by the large pointed arch at the centre here and the smaller, high opening with a rounded arch to its left, the headers of which Turner also indicates. In the distance down the street is the archway of the medieval Porta Ticinese.
- periods and styles(5,202)
- townscapes / man-made features(21,691)