There are two subjects here, from the same viewpoint on the Bacino between the Molo and the Isola di San Giorgio Maggiore. At the top is a very slight rendering of the Dogana and the domes of Santa Maria della Salute, seen to the west, as in the upper view on folio 7 verso opposite (D31804).
Below is a view south to the church of San Giorgio, with the portico on its west front (facing west-north-west) to the right of its dome. Beyond to the right, the loosely indicated dome might be taken as that of the Zitelle on the Isola della Giudecca, effectively brought east from its true position proportionately much further to the right. Above to its left and right Turner’s semi-legible inscriptions may refer to it as the ‘Cit[ella]’, as in the title of his 1842 painting The Dogano, San Giorgio, Citella, from the Steps of the Europa (Tate N00372),1 and also seems to mention the Redentore, the second great domed Giudecca church, in reality a long way to the right again on this scale.
Martin Butlin and Evelyn Joll, The Paintings of J.M.W. Turner, revised ed., New Haven and London 1984, pp.245–6 no.396, pl.400 (colour).