Both the sketches here were made with the page turned vertically. At the bottom left is the spire and upper tower of Christchurch, Coventry; only the tower and spire now stand, off New Union Street. These elements of the original church, the Greyfriars, had survived Henry VIII’s dissolution of the monasteries, and the construction of a new church, added onto the tower, had begun in March 1830, shortly before Turner’s visit. However, the main body of the new church, opened in 1832, was destroyed in an air raid in April 1941.1 For other Coventry views, see under folio 9 verso (D22336).
Ian Warrell describes the drawings here and on the verso (D22342) as ‘a couple of portrait studies of young women, possibly Turner’s travelling companions, demonstrating his susceptibility to female charms’, comparing the sketches to one in the Arundel and Shoreham sketchbook (Tate D22872; Turner Bequest CCXLV 54a),4 inscribed ‘Brown Eyes’.
For other figure studies in this sketchbook, see under folio 1 verso (D22324).
See [Rob Orland], ‘Christchurch, New Union Street’, Historic Coventry, accessed 1 July 2013, http://www
.historiccoventry. .co .uk /tour /christchurch .php
Martin Butlin and Evelyn Joll, The Paintings of J.M.W. Turner, revised ed., New Haven and London 1984, pp.186–7 no.333, pl.333 (colour)
Wilton 1989, p.21.
Warrell 2003, p.23.