Not on display
The identification of these studies is due to the late architectural historian Sir Howard Colvin.1 One of the watercolour subjects that Turner executed for Sir Richard Colt Hoare’s History of Wiltshire was of Wilton House (private collection).2 Home of the Earls of Pembroke, the house, close to Salisbury, was built in the sixteenth century and added to in the seventeenth century under the supervision of Inigo Jones. As at Salisbury Cathedral, so at Wilton too James Wyatt (1747–1813) was employed from 1801 to make improvements. Turner’s watercolour shows the east front of the house before Wyatt’s alterations. The arms of Henry VIII to which Turner’s note refers are now incorporated into the north front.