Joseph Mallord William Turner

Yanwath Hall and the River Eamont


Not on display

Joseph Mallord William Turner 1775–1851
Graphite on paper
Support: 181 × 228 mm
Accepted by the nation as part of the Turner Bequest 1856
Turner Bequest CXXXVII 72

Catalogue entry

Finberg lists this leaf as one of six believed ‘to have formed part of this book’. It is now bound in as folio 71 verso, with the image inverted. The recto is blank, but inscribed by John Ruskin in red ink ‘940’.
Yanwath Hall stands on the south side of the River Eamont at Eamont Bridge, just south of Penrith, and is today a farm. It has a fourteenth-century pele tower (Turner’s subject here) and a fifteenth-century hall. It was owned by the Lowther family for whom Turner visited the nearby Lowther Castle and Whitehaven during a tour of Cumbria in 1809. This drawing and two of Brougham Castle also on the Eamont north of Penrith, on folios 72 verso and 73 verso (D10314, 10315; Turner Bequest CXXXVII 70, 71), are datable to that year and assuming they belong to this sketchbook are probably the earliest drawings Turner made in it.
The paper is discoloured from exposure.

David Blayney Brown
March 2011

Read full Catalogue entry

You might like

In the shop