Not on display
Drawn with the page turned horizontally, the view is taken from the southern shore of the Ouse, with St Mary’s tower on the further bank, centre, and the ruins of St Mary’s Abbey visible at the left. Turner scholar David Hill observes that Turner took considerable interest in the activity of a boatyard housed at that time in the Abbey’s Hospitium. He also speculates that a watercolour of the same subject by Thomas Girtin (1775–1802) in the collection of Harewood House may have been based on this drawing. A closer view of the ruins of St Mary’s Abbey is on folio 86 recto (D01073; Turner Bequest XXXV 71).
Blank; stamped in brown ink with Turner Bequest monogram; inscribed by A.J. Finberg in pencil ‘141.70’.