The knowledge generated during Cleaning Modern Oil Paints (CMOP) is disseminated through conferences, publications in peer-reviewed journals, research posters and articles aimed at practicing conservators, conservation students and heritage scientists.
A list of all the project-related publications is published here. Click on the links below to access the full article or abstract.
- Banti, D., La Nasa, J., Lluveras Tenorio, A., Modugno, F., van den Berg, K.J., Lee, J., Ormsby, B., Burnstock, A., and Bonaduce, I. (2018). 'A molecular study of modern oil paintings: investigating the role of dicarboxylic acids in the water sensitivity of modern oil paints'. RSC Advances, 2018, 8, 6001-6012. [OPEN ACCESS]
- Bay, L., A. Burnstock, J. Lee, B. Ormsby, and van den Berg, K.J. (2017). 'Water sensitivity of modern oil paintings'. In ICOM-CC 18th Triennial Conference Preprints, Copenhagen, 4–8 September 2017, ed. J. Bridgland, art. 1302. Paris: International Council of Museums. [OPEN ACCESS]
- van den Berg, K.J. (2016). ‘Making paint in the 20th century: the Talens Archive’. Colour Change in Easel Paintings. Eds. R. Clarricoates, H. Dowding and A. Gent. Archetype Publications Ltd, London, pp.43-50.
- van den Berg, K.J., (2017). 'Notes on metal soap extenders in modern oil paints - history, use, degradation and analysis. In Casadio, F. et al. (eds.). 2017. Metal Soaps in Art – Conservation & Research. New York: Springer.
- van den Berg, K.J., (2017). 'History Made Accessible: Art Technological Journal «Die Technischen Mitteilungen für Malerei» Now Online'. In d’Ayala Valva, M. et al. (eds.), 2017. Materiali d’artista: l’atelier del pittore nell’Otto e Novecento. Pisa: Edizioni della Normale, pp.213-216.
- Burnstock, A., Lee, J., van den Berg, K.J., and Ormsby, B. (2016). ‘Water sensitivity of modern oil paints films’. Colore e Conservazione, 13–14 November 2015, Politecnico di Milano. Padova: CESMAR7/Il Prato, pp. 66-76. [FULL TEXT AVAILABLE]
- Burnstock, A., (2016). 'Becoming Picasso: Paris 1901. A Technical Study of Child with a Dove'. Wallert, A. (ed.), 2017. History, Materials and Studio Practice, 5th International Symposium, Rijksmuseum, 18-20 September 2013. Amsterdam: Rijksmuseum, pp.250-7.
- Chung, J.Y., B. Ormsby, J. Lee, A. Burnstock, and van den Berg, K.J. (2017). 'An investigation of options for surface cleaning unvarnished water-sensitive oil paints based on recent developments for acrylic paints'. In ICOM-CC 18th Triennial Conference Preprints, Copenhagen, 4–8 September 2017, ed. J. Bridgland, art. 1309. Paris: International Council of Museums. [OPEN ACCESS]
- van Dam, E. et al. (2016). ‘Analysis of triglyceride degradation products in drying oils and oil paints using LC-ESI-MS’. Int. J. Mass Spectrometry, 10, 2016, Elsevier Amsterdam.
- van Driel, B.A. et al. (2017). ‘Determination of early warning signs for photocatalytic degradation of titanium white oil paints by means of surface analysis’. Spectrochim. Acta, 172, 2017, Elsevier Amsterdam, pp. 100-8.
- King, A., Townsend, J.H., Ormsby, B., Angelova, L. and Lee, J. (2018). 'The Three Dancers, 1925 by Picasso'. In Joyce H Townsend, Annette King and Adèle Wright (eds). 2018. Picasso, Picabia, Ernst: New Perspectives. London: Archetype, pp.30-43.
- La Nasa, J., Lluveras Tenorio, A., Modugno, F., and Bonaduce, I. (2018). 'Two-step analytical procedure for the characterization and quantification of metal soaps and resinates in paint samples'. Heritage Science, 2018, 6:57. [OPEN ACCESS]
- La Nasa, J., Modugno, F., Aloisi, M., Lluveras Tenorio, A., and Bonaduce, I. (2018). 'Development of a GC/MS method for the qualitative and quantitative analysis of mixtures of free fatty acids and metal soaps in paint samples'. Analytica Chimica Acta, Vol. 1001, 25 February 2018, pp.51-58.
- La Nasa, J., Degano I., Brandolini L., Modugno F., Bonaduce I. (2018). 'A novel HPLC-ESI-Q-ToF approach for the determination of fatty acids and acylglycerols in food samples'. Analytica Chimica Acta, Vol. 1013, 9 January 2018, pp.98-109.
- Lee, J., Bonaduce, I., Modugno, F., La Nasa, J., Ormsby, B., and van den Berg, K.J. (2018). 'Scientific investigation into the water sensitivity of twentieth century oil paints'. Microchemical Journal, Vol. 138, May 2018, pp.282–295. This paper was awarded the National Heritage Science Forum (UK) Gold Open Access Award. [OPEN ACCESS]
- Lee, J., Ormsby, B., Burnstock, A., Schilling, M., and van den Berg, K.J. (2017). 'The chemical characterisation of water-sensitive modern oil paint swatches by Winsor & Newton'. In ICOM-CC 18th Triennial Conference Preprints, Copenhagen, 4–8 September 2017, ed. J. Bridgland, art. 1604. Paris: International Council of Museums. [OPEN ACCESS]
- Ormsby, B., and Lee, J. (2016). ‘Colour change and Modern Paints: An Overview’. Colour Change in Easel Paintings. Eds. R. Clarricoates, H. Dowding and A. Gent. Archetype Publications Ltd, London. pp.53–72.
- Ormsby, B., and Learner, T. (2016). ‘Recent developments in the cleaning of modern paints’. The GCI Newsletter, v. 31, n. 2 (Fall 2016). [OPEN ACCESS]
- Perchuk, A., Rivers, L., and Phenix, A. 2017. ‘Making Mural: Technical Analysis and Interpretation’, Getty Research Journal 9 (Supplement 1): 27-60.
- Phenix, A., and Graczyk, A. ‘Mapping the non-ideal: reflections on graphical representation of solubility parameters as a tool in conservation practice.’ Postprints of the Paintings Specialty Group session, American Institute for Conservation meeting 2014, San Francisco (Vol.27). Buckley, B. (Ed.), American Institute for Conservation.
- Phenix, A., (2017). ‘For the Record and Straight from the Horse’s Mouth: Frederick Hammersley’s Accounts of His Painting Process and Materials’. In Frederick Hammersley, To Paint Without Thinking, Ed. James Glisson. San Marino, CA: The Huntington Library, Art Collections, and Botanical Gardens, pp.32-50.
- Phenix, A., Soldano, A, van den Berg, K.J, van Driel, B. (2017). ‘"The Might of White"’: formulations of titanium dioxide-based oil paints as evidenced in archives of two artists’ colourmen, mid-twentieth century'. In ICOM-CC 18th Triennial Conference Preprints: "Linking Past and Future" , Copenhagen, 4-8 September 2017, ed. Janet Bridgland. Art. 0104. ICOM Committee for Conservation. Paris: ICOM-CC. [OPEN ACCESS]
- Volk, A. (2016). ‘A partially water-sensitive oil painting by Karel Appel: Technical Investigation and a tailored approach to surface cleaning’. Zeitschrift für Kunsttechnologie und Konservierung, 1, 2016, Wernersche Verlags-geselschaft, Worms am Rhein, pp.150-66.
FINAL PROJECT PUBLICATION
K.J. van den Berg, I. Bonaduce, A. Burnstock, B. Ormsby, L. Carlyle, G. Heydenreich, M. Scharff and K. Keune (eds), Conservation of Modern Oil Paintings, Springer International Publishing, Switzerland 2019, https://www.springer.com/gp/book/9783030192532.
Created in April 2017. Last revised in June 2021.