Giacometti moved to his studio at 46 Rue Hippolyte-Maindron in Montparnasse, in December 1926. Open most of the time to friends, acquaintances and even strangers who happened to knock at the door, over the years the studio acquired an almost mythical status.
With an area of twenty-three square metres and a high ceiling, the Parisian studio was extremely simple and bare. There was no running water until the late 1950s and the lighting was dim. The floor was made of cement and the roof leaked. Even later, when his more comfortable economic circumstances allowed it, Giacometti never thought of transforming or leaving this studio which was ‘the prettiest and humblest of all’.
Photographs by Ernst Scheidegger © 2017 Stiftung Ernst Scheidegger-Archiv, Zurich
Introduction written by Cecilia Braschi, featured in the Giacometti exhibition catalogue, available online.