- Sir Max Beerbohm 1872–1956
- Graphite, ink and watercolour on paper
- Support: 305 x 406 mm
- Bequeathed by J.R. Holliday 1927
N04332 ANNUAL BANQUET - A SUGGESTION TO THE NEW ENGLISH ART CLUB 1913
Inscr. ‘Max 1913’ b.r. and ‘Annual Banquet - a suggestion to the New English Art Club.’ b.c.
Pencil, pen and watercolour, 12×16 (30·5×40·5).
Bequeathed by J. R. Holliday 1927.
Coll: J. R. Holliday, purchased at the Leicester Galleries 1913.
Exh: Leicester Galleries, April–May 1913 (I); N.E.A.C. Retrospective Exhibition, January–February 1925 (191) and Manchester, April–May 1925 (6).
Lit: Lynch, 1921, pp.139–40.
Repr: Max Beerbohm, Fifty Caricatures, 1913, pl.42; National Gallery, Millbank [Tate Gallery], Review of the Acquisitions, 1927–29, 1930, p.41.
An allusion to the Annual Banquets at the Royal Academy. The figures are, from left to right, Augustus John, Asquith, Roger Fry, the Prince of Wales, Wilson Steer, the Archbishop of Canterbury, Henry Tonks, the Duke of Argyll and Walter Russell.
Mary Chamot, Dennis Farr and Martin Butlin, The Modern British Paintings, Drawings and Sculpture, London 1964, I
- leisure and pastimes(7,581)
- actions: postures and motions(9,053)
- named individuals(12,435)
- named groups(2,812)
- actions: processes and functions(2,127)
- actions: expressive(2,617)
- work and occupations(14,301)
- religion and belief(8,360)