Not on display
- Andrew O’Connor 1874–1941
- Object: 540 × 194 × 251 mm
- Purchased with assistance from subscribers 1936
Catalogue entryAndrew O'Connor 1874-1941
N04853 Viscount D'Abernon 1934
Inscribed 'LORD d'ABERNON | by A O'CONNOR | 1934' l. side (the third figure of the date is almost illegible)
Bronze, 21 1/4 x 7 5/8 x 9 7/8 (54 x 19.3 x 25), including base
Purchased from the artist (Lewis Publications 'A' Fund) with the aid of friends of Viscount D'Abernon 1936
Repr: Studio, CXIV, 1937, p.80; Stanley Casson, Sculpture of To-day (London 1939), p.53
Lord D'Abernon (1857-1941), GCB, GCMG, FRS, was Ambassador at Berlin from 1920 to 1926. This bust is believed to have been commissioned in his honour by the D'Abernon Club in London, of which he was the President. The club was formed to promote Anglo-German relations, but soon broke up, largely through the interference of Hitler.
Lord D'Abernon was a Trustee of the Tate Gallery from 1917 to 1935 (even continuing during his period in Berlin), and this bust was acquired as a tribute to his long years of service to the Tate. The Gallery also owns a full-length portrait of him by Augustus John [N05936].
Ronald Alley, Catalogue of the Tate Gallery's Collection of Modern Art other than Works by British Artists, Tate Gallery and Sotheby Parke-Bernet, London 1981, pp.567-8, reproduced p.567